We are a varied group who come together from all corners of Hamilton and beyond. All can find a safe and welcoming spiritual home here – straight or gay, young or old, families or singles.
We argue and question and learn from each other, all in a context of love. We like to laugh and have fun together, but we are serious about making a meaningful difference in our community.
905-527-1316 Ext. 210
The Very Rev. Peter Wall
Dean of Niagara and Rector
Peter Wall has been Rector of the Cathedral and Dean of Niagara since 1998. As Dean, he is responsible for the overall life of the Cathedral parish and takes an active role in the leadership of the Diocese. Peter has been very involved in the church beyond the Cathedral and Niagara, having served on the Council of General Synod, the national Faith Worship and Ministry Committee, the Board of Directors of the Anglican Foundation of Canada and on the national Liturgy Task Force. He currently serves as Anglican Co-Chair of the Anglican-Lutheran Commission for Canada, as well as continuing his work with ‘The Three Cantors’.
The Rev. Canon Dr. Sharyn Hall
The Rev. Canon Dr. Sharyn Hall was a parishioner at the Cathedral for many years before she was ordained. She is happy to be returning to the Cathedral as Assistant Priest after retiring from fulltime ministry in parishes in Oakville and Burlington.
She has been the diocesan Ecumenical Officer for many years and currently is the Chair of the Lutheran-Anglican-Roman Catholic Interchurch Committee. She also serves as Chaplain to the diocesan Mothers’ Union. Since 2008, she has been a member of the International Anglican Women’s Network (IAWN) and has attended the Commission on the Status of Women at the United Nations in New York City. Previously she was Chair of the executive board of Liturgy Canada. Her Ph.D. from the University of Toronto is in historical musicology and before being ordained, she was a part-time Assistant Professor of music history and aesthetics at McMaster University.
905-527-1316 Ext. 220
Director of Music Ministries
Michael Bloss has developed a celebrated reputation for animated performances, sensitive collaborative playing and illuminative coaching. In an enviable career of touring, performing and recording throughout the world, he was the first Canadian to be awarded the designation of Preisträger at the International Bach Competition in Leipzig, Germany playing in Bach’s own church. J.S. Bach remains his first and best love. Currently, Michael leads the parish and diocesan music at Christ’s Church Cathedral, Hamilton following respected tenures at the Cathedral Church of St. James and Timothy Eaton Memorial Church, Toronto. He also serves as a CRJ 100/200 Captain at Air Canada Express flying to a variety of US destinations.
905-527-1316 Ext. 240
Alison Meredith has been Parish Administrator and Administrative Assistant to the Dean since 1999. Alison handles the day to day business of the Cathedral office and works closely with both Cathedral and Cathedral Place staff. A life-long Hamiltonian, Alison came to the Cathedral from St. James the Apostle on Ottawa Street north (now closed) where she was the parish secretary.
Alison is always happy to answer questions and offer assistance about the Cathedral and its busy round of activities.
The Right Rev. D. Ralph Spence
The Rev. Canon William C. Thomas
The Rev. Canon J. Lefebvre
The Rev. Dr. Eric Griffin
The Rev. Canon Peter Ford
The Rev. Canon Paddy Doran
|The Rev. Canon Eric Mills||
The Right Rev. Clarence Mitchell
Art & Architecture
The austere look of the exterior of the Cathedral is in stark contrast to the beauty and colour found within. Cathedral Place, the name by which the property is known, houses a variety of amazing and historic works of art.
We invite you to visit the Cathedral and take a look around next time you’re in the neighbourhood. In the meantime, we are delighted to present a virtual tour for your enjoyment. The tour will explore many aspects of the Cathedral including some architectural details, the stained glass windows, the both incredible and delightful woodwork, and the reredos.
If you are interested in specific elements of the Cathedral’s interior, please click on any of the photos on this page or on any one of the following links, stained glass windows, reredos, cushions & kneelers, or woodwork for additional information.
In 1835 Bishop Stewart of Quebec, who had a very large diocese, sent John Gamble Geddes, a 24 year old graduate of the theological seminary at Chambly, with a few month’s apprenticeship in his native Kingston and at Three Rivers, to round up the Anglicans and to help their efforts to build a church. His building committee consisted of a number of prominent citizens including Allan Napier MacNab and George Hamilton. There was some acrimony over the selection of proferred building lots, but Nathaniel Hughson’s lot on James Street North won the day. Hamilton, with a population of about 1,500 had two church buildings, Methodist and Presbyterian. Members of other denominations worshiped in the court house. Some Anglicans had joined with the Methodists and Presbyterians and others awaited the occasional Anglican ministrations from Ancaster, but they were ready for a resident clergyman.
Robert J. Weatherall, the architect of Dundurn Castle, was elected to design the building and a handsome one it was, of wood painted to look like stone. Of course financing was a problem and a bazaar held by the ladies raised enough funds to finish the structure. Named Christ Church, the parish thrived and in 1853 a larger building was deemed necessary, but it was only partially built – lack of money again.
A section of a design by architect William Thomas was added to the original building, resulting in a partly stone two-level church with a very short chancel. In 1871 a stone school house was built beside the church to accommodate a growing Sunday School.
A new diocese was to be carved from the Diocese of Toronto and it was expected that Christ Church, Hamilton, would be its Cathedral. The old church was pulled down and the stone church was opened as the Cathedral in 1876.